With the PreCip® jacket, Marmot constructed one of the lightest, most compressible, technical, waterproof and breathable running jackets on the market. If you are looking for a kids or youth running jacket, this is the one to get. The jacket incorporates several custom features that make this ideal for trail or road running, and is guaranteed to keep you warm, dry and comfortable.
Last fall – after a hot, humid summer and with the weather about to change – I shopped for a running jacket for my then 8 year old that would enable him to continue running through the colder and wetter parts of the season. We live in the Northeast, so the jacket had to be waterproof, breathable, comfortable, durable, yet light, and protect my son against the type of conditions that would make you want to stay indoors. And one that wouldn’t break my bank account (so Gore-Tex was out of the question) because my son would probably outgrow the jacket every year or so.
Continue to read my review below the photos.
Marmot Youth PreCip® waterproof, breathable jacket in Surf/Peacoat color combination
Closeup of shoulder and collar area of jacket
Main zipper protected by double storm flaps with snaps / Velcro
Lined collar and chin guard with DriClime® moisture-wicking fabric
Full hood with integral collar that stays up while running
I bought a Marmot PreCip® jacket, which my son has now worn for a year and I can recommend as probably the best waterproof/breathable jacket in its category and price range. And my son is as serious about his gear as he is about running. He loves it. He has worn the jacket in diverse weather conditions and for various running activities, from trail running during one of the toughest Northeast winters in history, with record snowfall and cold temperatures, to warming up at the 2011 Nutmeg State Open Track & Field meet in August, with high humidity and a steady downpour before and during his mile event. For $60, this jacket cannot be beat.
- Waterproof and breathable – The PreCip® barrier technology keeps the rain out while letting your sweat vapor work its way outside, away from your body, so it keeps you dry from the inside as well as from the outside. All seams are 100% taped for waterproofing. To protect against leakage from driving rain or snow while running, the front zipper has a double storm flap with snaps/Velcro.
- Comfortable – Important for runners is the angel wing movement, which allows full arm motion so the jacket doesn’t ride up or chafe while running, without adding bulk or weight. The jacket has a full hood with an integral collar that stays up while running (and neatly tucks away under the collar when not in use), and a lined collar and chin guard (using DriClime® moisture-wicking fabric) to protect the face from the zipper. Slanted, zipped pockets in front are easily accessible (e.g., holds running gloves or tissues).
- Durable – The outer layer is made from 100% ripstop nylon (2.8 oz/yd), same material used on premium camping gear like tents, backpacks and jackets.
- Lightweight – The jacket weighs less than 10 ounces (9.7 oz / 275 g), compresses easily and packs into a small Ziploc bag.
- Colors – Available in 4 color combinations (shown is Surf/Peacoat).
- Reasonable – Boys and girls jacket retails for $60 (adult jacket $99).